Websites are everywhere. Whether you want to shop for something online or want to book a flight ticket, you should depend on a website. They make millions of dollars from such websites by providing a place for the users to fulfil their needs. Like the same, there are thousands of blogs that provide quality content to visitors to solve their problems. They are also earning a lot of money from their websites. So, why don’t you create one?
Would you believe it if I told you that you can make a lot of money from a website? Yes, it is true. Those ads that told you, you can make money online is true. The only problem is that most of those advertisers are trying to cheat you.
But there are legit and proven ways to make money online, and setting up a website is one of them. Just creating a website will not fill your bank account. But if you have some great products to deliver, some great services to offer, or at least a few quality contents to provide, you can earn a living out of that.
In this article, I am going to explain exactly the same thing. A step by step guide on setting up a website, choosing a topic for the website, monetizing it, and earning money from it. So, let’s roll.
How to set up a website
There are millions of ways to set up a website. But 99% of them are not free. What if you can create a website completely free of cost? Or add amazing features to it at the cheapest rates in the industry? If you like the deal, Wix is the best place that you can go to. Wix is a free website builder that is aimed to allow anyone to build a website, even with no coding knowledge.
Wix is one of the best website builders out there which is simple, elegant, and extremely flexible. If you are new to such online stuff, you should go with Wix to create your first website. Basically, there are two ways you can build a website using Wix, either on your own domain name or as a Wix sub-domain. If you are a beginner, I recommend to start with the free Wix subdomain and move to the domain of your preference later (which will cost you some money.) Here is how you can create a website with Wix.
1. Create a Wix Account (If you already have an account, you can skip this step)
- Go to Wix.com.
- Click on the Get Started Button.
- Click on the Signup link.
- Provide the required information, and Signup.
2. Website Setup
As soon as you signup, you will be taken to the Website topic selection screen.
- Choose the kind of your website (We are going to select the Blog). If you are confused about how to choose a topic for your website, move to the next section where we explained it to help you.
- Now, you will be given two options. Either you can let the Wix ADI create a website for you or you can design your own. We recommend to design it yourself if you need more control over the design. So, click on Choose a Template button.
- Choose a beautiful and suitable template for your needs. You can view each template before getting into editing it. Wix contains thousands of free website templates to choose from. So, you will surely find a beautiful one for your site.
- After you choose a template and click on the Edit button after hovering over it, Wix will open the Wix editor with a quick tutorial. If you are not familiar with Wix editor, I recommend watching it. After you watch it, click on the Start Now.
- Now, it is time to edit the web pages. You can read their guide for the Wix editor to know how you can edit the web pages and get experienced with the tools.
- After making all the necessary changes to the web pages, you can use the Preview button to preview the changes.
- When you are completely satisfied with all the features and design, you can click the Publish button to make the website live.
- Now, it will ask you whether you want to host your website for free on a Wix subdomain or you want to use your own domain. If you want to make the website live for completely free of cost, you will have to choose to Get a Free Domain If you have already purchased a domain or planning to purchase one, you can use the second option and input your domain name or purchase one (remember that, this is not free and you will have to pay for the hosting as well.)
- After inputting the name for your site, click on Save & Continue.
- Now, Wix will make your website live and will show a message saying Your Site was Saved.
- Click on the Done
- Now, another message will popup saying Congratulations. Click on the View Site button to view the live site on the internet.
- That’s it, you just made an amazing website live on the internet.
Don’t worry if you find any mistakes in the content or design. You can always go back and edit your website from your Wix dashboard.
How to choose a topic for the site?
Choosing a Topic for your website is one of the crucial decisions that you will be taking. There are a lot of things to remember while going for a particular Niche. You should analyze the competition, have a clear insight of what you are going to publish on the site, browse through the internet and learn about the topic, and do a lot of things like this. But in short, here are the things that you should do so while choosing a perfect topic for your site.
- Ask yourself what you are interested in: For example, if you are a photographer, why don’t you start a photography blog?
- Analyze the competition and find a low-competition Niche: If you find a low-competition topic which no other website covered, it will be easier for you to get ranked and gain some traffic.
- Never blindly depend on tools: Never go with a tool that suggests some random topics. You should be passionate about what you are going to publish on your site.
- Analyze the user interests over time: You should analyze the user interest of the topic. You can use Google Trends to find out the user interests over time. So, only choose a topic that has growing interest over time.
Even if the niche is a little competitive, if you are extremely passionate about it, you can still go for it. “Survival of the Fittest.” It is the only rule. If you still need some help, here are some of the most popular topics to start a website.
- Tips and Tricks
- How-to Guides
- Product Reviews
- Technology News
- Entertainment (celeb, movie, and such articles)
How to monetize the website and earn money from it?
Even if you have thousands of daily visitors to your website, if you didn’t monetize it well, you are not going to earn anything from it. You should always monetize your website traffic and convert your visitors to money. Here are some of the most popular and effective methods to monetize your website.
- Display Advertising: There are several publishing programs such as Google Adsense, , etc. which allows users to show ads and earn from the user clicks or impressions. This is the best way to earn money from your website.
- Native Ads: Just like display advertising, Native Ads are also a great way to earn. The only difference is that the Native Ads will be serving some native content and linking to the articles all over the internet. Native Ads are even powerful than the Display Ads. Some recommended Native ad networks are Outbrain, RevContent, Taboola, etc.
- CPA/CPM: There are a lot of CPA/CPM networks such as Maxbounty, Clickbooth, PeerFly, etc. that will pay you per acquisition, a thousand impressions, lead, or sale, basis.
- Selling Ad Spaces: Advertisers are always looking for relevant websites to place ads to their websites or products. So, you can simply sell ad space on your website or a sponsored article and earn money from the advertisers.
Make sure that the advertisements never affect the user experience. If you use 10+ ads or just 3 ads, you will earn the same amount if you know to correctly place them in the proper places. So, do not overly monetize your content forgetting the users. No one likes ads.
How to stand out from the crowd?
To be honest, it is not going to be easy out there. You will face a lot of problems with your competitors. They will try to outrank your website or demote you on the search results using both legit and sneaky methods. So, the only thing that will ensure your presence in the user’s minds is the value you provide to them and something unique that makes you different. If you want to stand out of the crowd, you can follow these things.
- Provide extreme quality content better than your competitors: Write unique, error-free content with the use of media files and graphics to keep your visitors engaged. Follow all the SEO standards to keep your website always up in the SERPs. Also, never copy the same idea of your competitors. Users always love unique content that provides
- Make your website load faster and user-friendly: Always keep your website load within a few seconds, even faster than your competitors. Also, design your website in such a way that the users will be able to easily find what they are looking for. This will positively impact both the search engine rankings as well as the user-engagement.
- Do not irritate the users by overly monetizing your website: Keep a balance between the earnings and user experience. You should not place popup ads or other types of advertisements which you, as a user, won’t like.
- Never try to cheat the visitors by promoting low-quality products or services: Even a single dissatisfied user can badly affect your website’s reputation. So, you should always promote genuine products and services and talk about the truth.
- Analyze your visitors and provide them with what they need: You can use the tools like Google Analytics to keep an eye on your user behavior and make changes to your website. This can greatly improve the user-engagement on your site. If users get what they came for, they will surely keep coming back.
So, that’s how you can choose a topic, make a website, provide quality to stand out of the crowd, and monetize it to make a living. I hope, I covered almost everything that you need right now. The rest, you can learn in your journey managing your site, serving the visitors, and exploring more articles. So, go and be a part of the internet.